Jul 3, 2008

Reader of the Week: Jane Hanna

published in VenusZine.com on 6/30/08

In between marketing for alternative weekly newspaper Chicago Reader, ponying with her dance troupe, the Janes, and rocking out with her band, Vamplifier, Jane Hanna finds little time for anything else. The self-proclaimed “train wreck” takes a moment out of her busy schedule to talk about partying, cheeky mini skirts, and finding a niche for her band’s eclectic sound.

What does being a special events and promotions coordinator entail? What percentage of this profession involves partying?
I'm basically the entire marketing department and street team for the newspaper, with the help of my trusty assistant. We have a booth at most of the music festivals and other cool summer events around town, so I get to hang out at those for free. I organize things like the huge bash we threw at Martyrs' back in May 2008 to celebrate our first-ever “Best of Chicago Readers Poll.” But I'm usually too busy being obsessive about the details to actually party at my own parties. I sacrifice my enjoyment so that the guests can enjoy a smoothly run evening. Noble of me, isn't it?

How long have you been involved in the Chicago go-go's group, the Janes? What do you usually do at one of your shows?
I've only been dancing with the Janes for a few months. I got hooked on the go-go aerobics classes at The Flamenco Arts Center (taught by the leader of the Janes), which are so much better than going to the gym. But I have this terrible addiction to the stage, so the gals were nice enough to let me join the performance troupe once they realized I was probably going to start showing up at their gigs in costume anyway!

We do authentic ‘60s-style choreography to songs of the era and perform all over town at benefit shows, festivals, and special events. Sometimes bands will hire us to add a little something to their stage show and we'll improv a set. You really can't go wrong when a bunch of girls with white boots and big hair run up onstage. It just does something to people — they go crazy when we start ponying.

How many inches above the knee does your skirt have to be to participate?

The costumes are retro and cheeky, but nothing naughty sticks out. Although, at my very first gig, I had to borrow a dress from another Jane so I'd match the group, and she's a bit shorter than me (I'm the tallest Jane). Let's just say that the fringe hanging off the bottom hem was about a millimeter away from turning things into adult entertainment.

Tell me about your band, Vamplifier.

I play keyboards and sing some, but I'll be throwing in some guitar once I get a little further in my lessons. We have an eclectic sound, with a lot of different influences. Basically if David Bowie and Marc Bolan had been hanging around Stax Records, and Television walked in with the Clash and they all started jamming to the Doors, it'd be weird and loud. But kinda cool? Let's call us psychedelic, trashy, post-punk, garage pop. PTP-PGP. That sounds good. We're putting out a self-produced EP called Knife Techniques later this summer.

How do you balance your job, your go-go troupe, and your band in addition to your social life?
I don't, actually. I'm kind of a train wreck. But I'm happy. My boyfriend calms me down, my dog cracks me up, and I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I was any less over-booked.

Where can readers learn more about your projects?
Where else but MySpace? You can find the Janes schedule and booking info at myspace.com/thejanesgogo and Vamplifier's show info and CDs at myspace.com/vamplifier. You can also read the Reader online at chicagoreader.com.


Read the article here.