Sep 2, 2008

Reader of the Week: Abby Schwartz

published in Venus Zine on 9/1/08

Abby Schwartz is leading something of a double life. By day, Schwartz works as a coordinator for the San Diego LGBT Community Center, planning events and referring LGBT women and allies to queer friendly health care services. After hours, Schwartz transforms into budding feminist rap persona MC Flow, busting rhymes alongside big acts like Yo Majesty, T.I., and Clipse, and winning a 2007 San Diego Music Award in the “Best Hip-Hop” category. Schwartz talks here about the challenges she’s faced in becoming a fly femcee, and shows her love for Venus Zine with a few rhymes.

How did MC Flow develop?

I wrote poetry and did spoken word for many years before I started rapping. I hosted an open mic for women in San Diego called Siren for a number of years where I met a lot of local musicians. A few of my closest friends and I decided to put some of my poetry and newly written raps to music. Over time, my band mate Taylor and I got more serious about the project. She put down her guitar and started writing beats, and from there things just took off. We later hooked up with our dancer, GG, and our DJ, Rob Fayder, completing the band. I couldn’t think of a funnier, simpler name for a feminist rapper than MC Flow. I think I had just finished reading Inga Muscio’s book Cunt for the tenth time when I named myself that.

What was your first show like?
My first show was probably embarrassing! I think I wore baggy track pants and an extra large T-shirt, and tried to be the picture of what I thought a rapper should look like. The best lesson I ever learned was just to be myself. Trying to pass myself as gangsta is ridiculous — I’m a Jewish lesbian from Westchester!

How have you evolved as a rapper?

I think I’ve evolved a lot as a performer. I’m a lot more comfortable and confident on stage than I used to be. I have learned to just have fun with it.

What challenges have you had to face being a female rapper?

I’ve faced my share of challenges. I’ve had guys come up to me after shows and ask, “So who writes your raps?” when I write my own lyrics. I’ve had male critics make comments that I get press coverage in San Diego by sucking dick — which is ridiculous, because I’m gay! But I also think being female helps me stand out in my genre. There aren’t many other white chicks that can spit it like I can.

Will you write me something?
Venus Zine, the dopest mag
I read you when I’m on the rag
Feminism’s my affliction
So I better get a fat subscription!

Read the article here.