Jun 27, 2008

Reader of the Week: Rosemary Travale

published in VenusZine.com on 04/14/08

How long have you been illustrating? Are you able to make a living from illustration, or do you have any side projects you're working on?
I have been doing illustration full time since September 2007, shortly after I finished my B.A. in Illustration from Sheridan College in Ontario. I also like to do silk screening and bookbinding when I get the chance. One of my favorite things to do is make my own sketchbooks — that way, I can be sure to get exactly the size and papers that I want with it.

Yes, I make a living from illustration. I've found that I really have to be dedicated to working on illustration full time for it to work. When I'm not working on an illustration for a client or a gallery show, things like promotion and bookkeeping have to be done. Other stuff like managing my online store, coming up with new product ideas, and brainstorming ideas for other personal projects is also in the mix.

Where do you find the inspiration to come up with these characters? And what's with the pirate fascination?
I have the mentality that if a drawing can make me laugh, it's probably something worth spending more time on. I just like to have fun and be silly with my illustrations, which I think is really important. I like the aesthetics of 1950s-era children's books. Those probably had the biggest impact on me stylistically from when I was a kid and even still.

I really, really like pirates! Nothing beats swashbuckling adventure stories on the high seas. Plus, pirates are weird in the way that they were these loathsome, murderous, and feared group, and now they seem to be these bumbling, comical characters that act as heralds to mini putt parks. And as a kid, I always felt sort of bad for Captain Hook to be constantly annoyed by a little jerk like Peter Pan!

How do you find the balance between commercial and studio art? How do you cope with your role as an artist and an entrepreneur?
I try to work on a personal illustration a little bit every day — even if it is just something like sketching out ideas.

I have been really lucky in that I have never felt that I have had to compromise my work or myself for a client. Every art director that I have worked with has always been willing to work with me to explore the subject matter of the assignment to come up with the best solution for the illustration.

I think the role of being an artist and entrepreneur is a very symbiotic one in the world of illustration. You have to be willing to create work for yourself if no one is giving you any at the time.

What do you love best about what you do?
I think the satisfaction of creating something is what I like best. It's so rad that I make a living off of something I've always done for fun. You really just can't beat that!


Read the article here.